Writer's Guidelines for Borderlines MagazineThe official publication of the Border Collie Society of America, Inc.
BCSA members look forward to receiving Borderlines six times a year because of the great articles it contains! And those articles only happen with your contributions. We encourage and welcome articles on a variety of topics that must have only one thing in common: they must relate to Border Collies!
If you have an idea for an article, please contact the editor and share your information. We’ll determine whether it’s viable for Borderlines and when it potentially can be published.
When making a contribution to Borderlines, please follow the guidelines below. If you have questions, the editor may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the following to format your submission:
• Microsoft Word documents are preferred.
• Photos should be high resolution (300 ppi) and saved as .jpg or .eps files.
- There is no length limit on articles from contributing editors/regular writers. However if an article is lengthy and there are space constraints in the current issue, the article may be split into two parts to run in back-to-back issues upon approval by author.
- Editorial discretion will be exercised in the case of extremely lengthy submissions.
- Articles will run in the first issue in which there is available space. If there are space constraints in the current issue, the article will run in the next available issue.
- Kennel ads, litter advertisements, and articles that are primarily intended as brags will not be included as editorial content. Please place an ad for those submissions.
- Deadline for submission is the 15th of odd-numbered months (Jan, March, May, July, Sept, Nov). Submissions received after the deadline will not be published until the following issue, except at the discretion of the editor as to timeliness and relevance.
- The editor reserves the right to edit and/or verify submissions. If there are edits, other than grammatical, the Editor will communicate with the Author.
- A proof of the article will be sent to the author for edits and/or revisions unless requested that no copy be sent. Author will have two working days (Monday through Friday, not including Holidays) to make changes, revisions, or to correct mistakes on proof. If no corrections/edits/revisions are received by the editor after two working days, then it will be assumed that the proof is good. Once an author “signs off” on his/her proof copy, additional revisions or edits will be accepted only at the discretion of the editor. One proof copy will be sent. Subsequent revisions/edits will not be resent for proofing.
- Late submission due to “extenuating circumstances” will be considered. Please make every effort to get your articles in before or on the deadline. This keeps the process running smoothly.
- The BCSA Board of Directors and the editor reserve the right to refuse advertising or submissions which are not in the best interest of the breed, the Club, or dog sport.
- Submissions remain the property of the Authors.
- Issue will go to the printer the first of the month following the deadline.
- Photographs (whether professional or non-professional) submitted should have photographer credit included with photo at time of submission and submitter must have permission for the photograph to be used in a publication.
- General photos will be included in Borderlines as space allows and at the discretion of the Editor.
Contribute an Article
- Agility: Volunteer Needed
- Behavior: Carol Price
- Conformation: Volunteer Needed
- Conversation with Champions: Barbara Fitzgerald
- Health: Frances Hannen
- Herding: Volunteer Needed
- Obedience: Debby Quigley
- Agility Statistics: Volunteer Needed
- Conformation Statistics: Volunteer Needed
- Obedience Statistics: Robin Clark
- Herding Statistics: Jamie Jackson-Swanson
Borderlines welcomes and encourages article contributions from both members and non-members. If you would like to contribute an article, please contact the editor in advance of the issue to get your article on the editorial calendar.
Deadlines to Contribute Articles
Submissions must be received by the 15th of the month preceding publication. Submissions received after the deadline will not be published until the following issue, except at the discretion of the Editor as to timeliness and relevance.
Feb/Mar Jan. 15
Apr/May March 15
Jun/Jul May 15
Aug/Sept July 15
Oct/Nov Oct. 1
Dec/Jan Nov. 15
The publication should be completed, printed, and mailed by the first week of the month following the submission deadline, and delivered by USPS bulk mail within two weeks after that. These timelines may vary due to circumstances beyond our control, but will be adhered to as closely as possible.
Writer Guidelines: Please review these Guidelines when submitting an article.
Subscription Rates: Borderlines is published every other month and is available with membership to the BCSA. Subscription rates for non-members are $80 USA, $90 Canada, $100 all other foreign subscriptions. Payment must be made in U.S. funds. To subscribe, please send a check payable to BCSA. Your subscription will begin with the next regular bulk mailing.
Extra Copies or Back Issues: You can purchase back issues and extra copies of Borderlines for $5 plus $2.50 shipping/handling each. Please email Kathy Sours to see if copies of the issue you want are available.
Advertising in Borderlines is a great way to showcase a new champion, promote an upcoming litter or to memorialize a dear friend. Digital photos or camera-ready ads sent via email are the preferred method of submission. Email to Borderlines Editor at: email@example.com or send by US mail to: Cindy Eaton-Eklund, 4309 131st Circle, Urbandale, IA 50323. Please include sufficient postage and an addressed return envelope if you require photos returned via USPS.
|Rescue Groups: One-half member rate
(see above — must be submitted by BCSA member)
All advertising must be pre-paid. Use the form below to pay for your ad with a credit card (via PayPal) or send your check payable to BCSA to Adrian Smith, address.
Ads MUST be camera-ready.
Each change to an annual ad contract during the year requires an additional $10 set-up fee.
At the November 2006 meeting, the Board approved giving Border Collie rescue organizations a discounted ad rate in Borderlines. The ad rate for rescue organizations will be one half the member rate for both single issue and annual ads. The person submitting the ad must be a member of BCSA for the organization to receive the discount.