Members Present: Michelle Olsen • Joyce Norris •
Laura Wright • Kelly Hagstrand • Beth Bartholomew • Sally Davis • Denise
Teal • Wayne Koutsky
Call to Order: 5:31 PM Pacific Time by Michelle Olsen
1. Recording Secretary’s Report: Kelly Hagstrand
1.1. Approval of minutes of last board meeting
Minutes of last board meeting approved unanimously in Motion 2005-20
2. Corresponding Secretary’s Report: Laura Wright
2.1. Correspondence Received
- Michele received request from AKC for our next national
specialty date so it could be published in a new special section in the
Gazette. Response sent.
- Michelle received information regarding an AKC-affiliated
dog club insurance program that is open to all AKC affiliated dog clubs.
- Duplicate letters about next year’s specialty from the
AKC – approvals, etc.
- Trial package with forms, etc from AKC for next year’s
- Letter from the AKC regarding the reinstatement of the
“Spotlight on Specialties” feature in the Gazette.
- Annual dues notice letter from the AKC.
- Annual letter from the AKC requesting a list of new
officers and current membership list. Since BCSA does bi-yearly elections,
there is no change in our officers. AKC will be informed.
- Received notification from the AKC that Shawnee Jones and
Chris Peach were suspended from AKC privileges following a disciplinary
hearing at the Specialty
3. Treasurer’s Report: Wayne Koutsky
3.1. Account Balances
3.2. Operating Budget
Budget is done and will be forwarded to the Board this week for review.
3.3. 2005 Specialty Income/Expenses
Almost all the expenses for the 2005 Specialty have been paid. Still awaiting
the bill for the catalog.
3.4. 2005 Finance Committee Review
Wayne sent a copy of the 990 form to Beth (Finance Committee) for review.
Beth reviewed and everything is fine.
4. Interim Business Transacted by US Mail
No mail exchanged in the last preceding two months.
5. Interim Business Transacted by E-Mail
5.1. Motion 2005-17
Motion: Motion to approve new member applications for October
Motion Made By: Denise Teal
Seconded: Sally Davis
In Favor: Unanimous
5.2. Motion 2005-018
Motion: Motion to approve additional new member applications for October
Motion Made by: Joyce Norris
In Favor: Unanimous
4.3. Motion 2005-019
Motion: Motion to approve Laura Tomaszewski & Sandra Lindenmuth as 2007
National Specialty chairs and for the event to be held at Purina Farms
Motion Made by: Denise Teal
Second: Laura Wright
In Favor: Unanimous
5.4. Motion 2005-020
Motion: Motion to approve the September Board Minutes
Motion Made by: Kelly Hagstrand
Second: Beth Bartholomew
In Favor: Unanimous
6. Committee Business
6.1. Advertising Manager: Colleen Backus
- After some difficulties with customer service at Dog
World, Colleen managed to get our ad set up. Payment is required before
publication, so Colleen contacted Wayne to get this taken care of. The
website will be monitored after the first ad starts in February 2006 to see
if the BCSA website gets more traffic.
- There was no response from the Australian Shepherd club
regarding a joint effort on the epilepsy project advertising. Colleen is
going to try another contact and try to find out the results, if any, of
6.2. AKC Delegate: Claudia Frank (pending AKC approval)
Claudia will be voted on at the January 2006 AKC Delegates meeting. If
approved, her first official meeting will be March 2006
6.3. AKC Gazette Columnist: Gerianne Darnell
The next Gazette column will be about herding ducks
6.4. BCSA Announce and Suggestion Box: Nancy Little
- As of October 26, 2005, there are 336 subscribers to
- There have been 2 messages received in the Suggestion Box
since September 6th, 2005.
6.5. BCSA Store Inventory and Orders: Nancie Mages
Nancie has asked that we search for a marketing/sales manager to help boost
store sales. She would still take care of inventory, taking and orders and
shipping. Ann Shaw has asked to put a job description on the website.
6.6. Border Recorder: Kim Sykes
Kim asked whether the Border Recorder should be kept in its current format.
She has been talking to several people and to a few others at the Nationals
and all agreed that they would not purchase a Border Recorder in part due to
the ROM/ROMX being on the web site. Kim will be asked to ask for member input
and preferred format via BCSA Announce.
6.7. Borderlines: Lisa Ochoa
Lisa is currently working on the November/December issue and it should be at
the printer in the next week or so. Specialty results will be in the
6.8. Borderlines Advertising Manager: Kim Baumgart
Kim is soliciting more vendors to advertise in Borderlines. She sold two ads
for the November/December issue and is working on more for the future.
6.9. Futurity Committee
Linda Dietrich talked to Michelle about volunteering for this. She is very
familiar with how it is set up in the German Wirehaired club.
6.10. Heath – Lisa Pruka
- 17 dogs (16 Border Collies and 1 Keeshond) were BAER
tested at the Specialty and all were normal.
- Blood was collected from 17 dogs for OptiGen testing.
Thank you to Megan Harrison and Ronni DeLay for drawing blood for those
interested in participating.
- Next year we will schedule a CERF clinic.
- Many compliments were received from people who have
enjoyed reading articles about health topics in Borderlines.
6.11. Heath & Rescue Foundation: Dawn Antoniak-Mitchell
- The Board has decided to make this foundation independent
- There will be no membership. The Foundation will be a
Board of Directors only entity.
- Dawn is finalizing the documentation.
6.12. Juniors – Mary Beth Overmyer & Linda Follis
2 Juniors attended the Specialty
6.13. Judges Education – Carolyn Herbel
Carolyn sent the Judges Education presentation draft to the Board for review
and also requested $1,000 to purchase a projector. Board has requested some
changes to the presentation. The approval of the projector is on hold until
the Judges Education presentation is finalized and approved.
6.14. Membership – Kathy Sours
- New applications were taken during the Specialty.
- We have to make sure that application forms are available
all week during the Specialty next year.
- Not enough members knew that they could renew their
membership early at the Specialty.
- Renewal reminder was posted on BCSA Announce. Hard copy
will go out after December 1st.
6.15. Recruitment: Kim Baumgart
Kim reported that she is working on a pamphlet explaining how to get a new
regional club started. She is starting her own regional club, so will
experience the process first-hand. New member Lynn Higgins and volunteered to
join the committee.
6.16. ROM: Nancy Keller
- Nancy has sent the June 2005 ROM list to Lisa Ochoa.
- Nancy is planning a series of articles for Borderlines
about breeding and bloodlines.
6.17. Versatility & Awards: Tashia Lund
- The website has been updated with Tashia’s contact
- Tashia sent the awards to Joyce to be presented at the
Specialty. All went well.
- Tashia currently has on CHX application, a VX application
and another V application on the way.
6.18. Website: Ann Shaw
- Results and photos as well as results for several of the
2005 Specialty venues were added.
- 2006 and 2007 Specialty Central pages added.
- National Specialty past winner’s pages completed thanks
to Karen Herceg.
- Herding Central articles added.
- Committee pages updated.
- Regular site maintenance and page updates.
7. Old Business
7.1. 2005 National Specialty: Denise Teal & Linda Koutsky
- Many thanks to Denise and Linda, and all the other chairs
and workers for a great week.
- There were no major glitches and no complaints
7.2. 2006 National Specialty
- Saturday Conformation judge Chris Walkowicz is under
- Sunday Conformation judge George Vukick has accepted and
the contract is pending.
- Agility judge Mike Lappin has accepted and the contract
- Obedience judges Janet Lewis and Pat Krause have
accepted, contracts pending.
- Chairs are still needed for Herding, Obedience, Agility
- There will be some discussion regarding possible schedule
- Conformation Chair is Nancie Mages.
- Rally chair is Judy Jergens.
- Lisa has been contacted by someone who in interested in
doing the logo.
- Derek Pattison has agreed to secretary again; however he
would like to rebid based upon his experience this year.
- Kathleen Shaffer has declined the invitation to be the
photographer for 2006, so the search is on for a new photographer.
- Ruth Deming has volunteered to be the ribbon chair. She
wants to make some changes to the current ribbons and she has been asked to
develop a proposal of what she wants to change, etc. She has been given a
budget to work with and she may make any changes that will fit within the
7.3. BCSA Agility Trial
- Event and judges have been approved by the AKC
- Leftover ribbons and toys will be used.
- Workers shirts from the Specialty will also be used.
Starting process of getting vendor quotes for the future
7.5. ACE Project
- Laura Tomaszewki and Missi Roland still have ACE
t-shirts, which they will continue to sell at their local events. The rest
have gone to Nancie Mages for the BCSA store, to be sold via the website.
- Wayne to roughly figure out the profits made so far.
7.6. Herding Entry Lottery Drawing Issue
Michelle still waiting on a response from the AKC.
7.7. AKC Canine Health Foundation Parent Club Conference
The Health Committee members were unable to attend. Dawn Antoniak-Mitchell,
the chair of the Health & Rescue Foundation agreed to go representing BCSA.
The AKC let us register her even though we were a month late. Dawn will be
publishing her notes in Borderlines and possibly the website so that all
members can benefit from the content.
7.8. Rescue Grants
Application for applying for grants for rescue work need to be revised, as
does the web page descriptions.
8. New Business
8.1. September Membership
Motion was made by Wayne Koutsky to accept, Sally Davis seconded. All
- Christine Buck & Adele Calimer
Sponsor: Laura Tomaszewki
- Karen Clymer
Sponsor: Kathy Sours
- Cheryl Fischer
Sponsor: Shelia Kulak
- Leslie Johnson
Sponsor: Carolyn Herbel
- Leslie Townsend
Sponsor: Sandra Schults
8.2. 2007 BCSA National Specialty
- Laura Tomaszewki & Sandra Lindenmuth have volunteered to
co-chair the event and have been approved by the Board.
- Purina Farms will be the site.
- Chairs for Herding, Agility and Conformation have been
- Kathleen Schaffer of Pupart will be the photographer.
- Discussion regarding a possible schedule change (i.e.
Conformation at the beginning of the week, performance events at the end).
- Ann Shaw has set up the information on the website
8.2. Agility Statistics Request
Paige O’Donnell is writing an article for Borderlines and paid the AKC $50.00
for Agility statistics she needed for the article. The type she needed
required the AKC to write some special queries to pull the data, hence the
charge. She already paid since the article deadline was 10/15, but is
requesting that the Board consider reimbursing her for all or part of the
fees. Motion was made by Denise to reimburse Paige for the entire amount.
Wayne seconded the motion. All approved.
8.3. BCSA Tracking Tests
Lisa Pruka submitted a suggestion to the Board that instead of holding a
tracking test at the Specialty, we try to get different groups to hold them
under our license at various locations around the country during the year.
8.4. Herding Instinct Test Form
Jim New resubmitted his proposed form changes and Claudia sent the revised
version to the Board. Motion made by Denise to accept the new form. Joyce
seconded the motion. All approved.
8.5. Suggestion Box Submissions
- Jacquie Hoye suggested the name of photographer for
future nationals. Information was forwarded to Lisa and Kat.
- Susane Hoffman had some suggestions regarding the judges
selection process for conformation judges and some suggestions for possible
- Gail Hollon requested that BCSA hold a sanctioned
conformation fun match after the Sweepstakes at the Specialty. Idea was
forwarded to both Specialty teams.
9. Date of Next Board Meeting
Next regular Board Meeting: Monday, January 23, 2006 at 5:30 PM Pacific Time.
8:50 PM Pacific Time by motion to adjourn by Wayne Koutsky, second Beth
Respectfully submitted by Kelly Hagstrand, Recording