The meeting was called to order on June 14 at 8:05 pm EST.
Members present: President Fran Hoffman, Vice President Denise Teal, Secretary Sharon Ferguson, Treasurer Marit Marino, Board Members Nancy Little, Emily Czepek, Past President Joyce Herie, AKC Delegate Janet Lewis.
1. APRIL MINUTES: It was asked by Nancy Little, that Joyce and Janet be listed as Past President and AKC Delegate, respectively in these minutes. Denise moved that the minutes be approved with corrections. The motion was seconded by Nancy and approved unanimously.
2. SECRETARY'S REPORT: We've been getting a lot of brochures from companies
for various services, like trophies, videos, and photography. We will save this
for future specialties. We also got a catalog from a printing company, which we
will send to Helen Phillips.
We received a Breeder referral request from a person in Ohio. Sharon will write him and tell him that we don't have breeder referral in place and that he should refer to the BCSA website for more general information. He can check back with us when we have a referral system in is in place.
3. TREASURER'S REPORT: The balances are as follows:
$21,864.98 Checking Account
$ 514.63 Savings - Restricted Health Funds
$ 4,685.16 Savings - Restricted Rescue Funds
$ 1,009.34 Regular Savings
4. Five Phone cards have been purchased for board members requesting them at $145.63
5. Signature authority. Fran has signature authority on all bank accounts as of May 21.
6. Review of financial records have been completed for the months, December through May by Wayne Koutsky. Everything appears to be in order and the report was issued to board members.
7. This year we have spent $17,000 and we have brought in $28,500.
8. Fundraising has deposited $5419.75 for its sale of beanie babies. The BCSA Store has recently added Puffkin key rings for sale and we will be adding note cards and jewelry items soon.
9. COMMITTEES: Emily suggested that Denise start thinking about how to deal
with the annual reports from committee chairs at the National Specialty. It is
imperative that something in writing is submitted in the event that the chair
will be unable to attend the specialty.
a. Register of Merit :Nancy Keller said that she is looking at this and will submit a proposal around the end of July.
b. Border Recorder: Due to the financial status of the club, Nancy Keller has not made any plans concerning the next Board Recorder. Denise will contact her and ask her if she's bringing any Border Recorders to the National. Denise will also contact Nancie Mages to find out how many copies she has.
c. Health Committee: We need to get someone in place for AKC Health Conference. There is a question as to whether this is something that needs to be budgeted. Emily asked if veterinarians in BCSA should be contacted to possibly fill this position. We now have a job description. Janet will ask Chris Zink if she would be willing to go to the AKC meeting on our behalf.
d. Health & Rescue Foundation committee: Fran will contact Richard Whorton to see what information he has. Emily will write to Linda Baron and ask about history of this proposal.
e. Affiliate Club Chair: Ruth Deming is interested in this position and requested a job description. There is a job description on the BCSA website. Nancy suggested that Joyce write to Ruth, let her know about the website and ask her for her input on the job description. The Board unanimously approved of appointing Ruth for this position and she has been notified.
f. Breeder Referral: Janet Legg and Wendy Jordan volunteered to co chair this committee. Marit said that a Buyer's guide, written by Richard and Mary Whorton, is on the BCSA website It might also be advisable to have General Education involved in writing something. Fran moved to approve both candidates. Nancy seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.
10. OLD BUSINESS:
. By Law Revisions: Clarifications are still needed. Emily found some discrepancies and with those questions, we need to wait to hear back from Dr. Kim Green and Dr. Lois Rifner. There needs to be an official means of communication for the club business and board business explicitly spelled out, and it needs to be consistent. No decision was made at this point. Pending further discussion.
a. National Specialty Budget: copies were sent to all Board members through the mail. Joyce moved that we accept the budget as presented. Emily seconded the motion and it was voted unanimously as approved. Janet asked about how judges will be paid. Nancy suggested that bills should go to the event chairs and then after Marit writes the check the event chairs can pay the judges.
b. Letter to Barbara Palmer: Denise made the following motion: Move that the Board refrain from any further proceedings regarding receipt of BCSA treasury and 1999 Specialty records from Robyn Powley and Barbara Palmer. During the past two years the Board has repeatedly requested these records from Ms. Powley and Ms. Palmer. They have declined to submit them and have also refused to provide any explantion for questionable expenses. Any further attempts to obtain the records through legal action would incur substantial club expense. Motion approved unanimously.
c. Anne Marie Silverton has accepted the position of National Specialty Chair for 2002. Nancy will contact her to tell her that she can use BCSA Announce for announcements and help requests. Marit will send her pertinent financial information.
d. Crab Orchard Kennel Club Supported Entry: This show will be held the day after the conformation and obedience classes at our National. BCSA will donate the following trophies: BOB, BOS, BOW and High Scoring Border Collie in the obedience trial.
11. NEW BUSINESS:
. Nominations for lifetime achievement awards are being solicited by AKC. It was suggested that we send this to Tracy Sengupta and ask her to develop a protocol for next year's nomination.
a. Volunteer/Recruitment committee: Denise will write down some ideas and send them to everyone for discussion.
b. Website policy: Marit will document her requirements for putting information on the BCSA website.
c. Medallions for the rescue parade. Emily suggested the that Board might make a private donation (not from the BCSA Treasury) for the medallions. Board approved the donation.
Next meeting date - August 30 - 8 pm eastern.
Nancy moved to adjourn, Joyce seconded. Meeting as adjourned at 9:30pm EST
New Members: The following new members have been approved:
2909 Algonquin Drive
Lafayette, IN 47909-3119
1429 Peppertree Drive
La Habra Heights, CA 90631
2647 Windsor Ave
Oceanside, NY 11572-1144
9540 Arapaho Valley Rd
La Porte, CO 80535
5490 Serendipity Rd
Riverside, CA 92509-3642
W4273 Moonlite Rd
Neilsville, WI 54456
Sharon Ferguson, Secretary
Page Updated 08.02.2007